Sunday 27 May 2012

Fish is definitely the dish!


Last Wednesday I was fortunate enough to be Invited by Fish is the dish to the amazing Belfast Cookery School to learn more about cooking fish especially as it was geared towards families. This was their first ever class and it was held in Belfast. 

Our brilliant teacher for the day (who was also very entertaining) was Wayne Carville the head chef at Mourne Seafood.

The day started with Oysters! I have only ever had a oyster once and I just swallowed it. I wasn't looking forward to having to try one at half ten in the morning but, try it I did and I must say they were gorgeous if you chew them and the splash of Tabasco and lemon juice made all the difference. I am thankful that I didn't have to open one, I am really accident prone and probably would have chopped a finger off. Heather from Fish is the dish said she had never eaten an oyster so she was challenged and she reluctantly accepted.  


Our breakfast continued with mussels Wayne cooked one batch with just lemon and the other batch was supposed to be cream and white wine but ended up as just a cream sauce as Waynes assistant Chris brought up a bottle of sherry instead. We were told it was a popular dish at the restaurant for kids, I have never thought of giving S mussels but I certainly will now and they are super quick to cook, they were ready in just a few minutes.

Mussels in a cream sauce




Next Wayne showed us how to fillet (was handy to know but I would probably not do this at home) and prepare a few different types of fish ranging in price, from 50p to £30/£40 for the monkfish. I was surprised at how little difference there was taste wise between the cheaper and more expensive bits.


The last dish Wayne prepared was the one we were going to cook. Hake with Germolata, sautéed potatoes and a side salad.  

My work Station

This was such an easy dish to make, the Germolata made with, Chilli, Lemon zest, parsley, garlic and breadcrumbs which I forgot to add to mine! was prepared while the pan was heating up. Next a little oil was added to the pan and in goes the fish skin side down along with the potatoes. During this time I was distracted by Paula McIntyre from Radio Ulster for an Interview for her Saturday morning magazine show which I managed to ramble through. When the fish skin was golden brown in colour it was turned over, we added a knob of butter and turned off the heat and left to rest for a few minutes before plating up, It was that easy.

The finished product, I am surprised at how quick and easy the dish was.



I really enjoyed my day and I learnt a lot and I will be definitely be adding more fish to my family's menu. The night after the course I re-created the dish for my husband and S it went down really well.  I also made homemade fish fingers thanks to the folder in the goody bag we all got going home, I don't think I will ever buy frozen fish fingers again they were so easy to make and S had so much fun helping to make them. 
  






Thirty Mummy x


1 comment:

  1. Great post Lisa, the fish fingers look great too. Love your photos. x

    ReplyDelete